Nasi Kunyit (Turmeric Glutinous Rice). Nasi Kunyit is glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk and turmeric. This celebratory dish is usually served with curries during weddings and special occasions by the Malay community in Malaysia. The color yellow signifies good fortune, wealth, and royalty.
Whatever the name they are actually the same dish, made of glutinous rice and tumeric. It's sometimes called turmeric glutinous rice or what we locals call Nasi Kunyit or Pulut Kunyit. This celebratory dish is very traditional and is usually served with curries in auspicious occasions by Huang Kitchen. You can have Nasi Kunyit (Turmeric Glutinous Rice) using 8 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Nasi Kunyit (Turmeric Glutinous Rice)
- It’s 1 kg of Glutinous rice.
- You need 1 tbsp of Turmeric powder.
- You need 1/2 medium of Lime (juice).
- Prepare 4 clove of Garlic (minced).
- Prepare 350 ml of Coconut milk.
- You need 4 tbsp of Sugar.
- Prepare 2 stick of Cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 clove of Star anis.
Chicken Rendang (side dish) Note that Nasi Kunyit or turmeric rice can lead you to Malay recipes or Indonesian recipes that used normal rice and used for big feast or kenduri such as marriage ceremony. Yellow is a noble colour for the Malay community especially royal families and the yellow rice is interpreted as an auspicious and noble rice reserved for big occasions For the Nasi Kunyit. Place a muslin cloth inside the steamer and evenly spread the soaked rice onto the cloth. To cool down the rice, use your finger or a spoon to make holes in the rice.
Nasi Kunyit (Turmeric Glutinous Rice) step by step
- Soak the glutinous rice + turmeric powder + lime juice for at least 8 hours..
- Strain the glutinous rice.
- Prepare the steam cooker. Put 1 stick cinnamon + star anis in the water..
- Put another 1 stick cinnamon together with the glutinous rice.
- Steam the glutinous rice around 20 minutes until the rice cooked.
- In the meantime boil the coconut milk + sugar + garlic.
- Add 3/4 of coconut milk to the cooked rice. Mix it well. The taste supposed to be sweet. If its not sweet enough add another sugar in coconut milk and pour all coconut milk and mix it..
- Shape it on the plate while its warm.
Meaning turmeric rice, nasi kunyit is often served as a side dish in a banquet. As it looks like a pile of gold it is usually served at special events to signify good fortune, wealth and dignity. The glutinous rice is then steamed over boiling water to cook it. Nasi Kunyit is perfect with a curry dish such as Beef Rendang. I served it with my Babi Assam a couple of days ago and it was equally good.