Chicken Rendang (Rendang Ayam). Chicken Rendang, or Rendang Ayam is a lip-smacking Indonesian dry curry that's loaded with tender chicken simmered with a spice paste and coconut milk until there's almost no sauce left. At this point, the remaining sauce is caramelize around the chicken along with roasted coconut to create an ultra-flavorful coating around each piece of chicken. Rendang regularly shows up among the list of world's most delicious food, and if you have ever sink your teeth into the savory, spicy, and slowly braised rendang, you are sure to nod your head in agreement.
You can serve this flavourful rendang dish with steamed white or saffron rice, ketupat (a compressed rice cake) or lemang (glutinous rice cooked in bamboo tubes) and thick slices of bread. Chicken rendang is slow cooked and stewed in the rendang sauce and my chicken rendang recipe yields flavorful and tender chicken, with complex structure of flavors, with the intense aroma of the exotic spices. I love making chicken rendang at home. You can have Chicken Rendang (Rendang Ayam) using 19 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chicken Rendang (Rendang Ayam)
- Prepare 1 kg of chicken cut into med size.
- Prepare 1 cup of grated coconut (for kerisik).
- It’s 1 cup of thick coconut milk.
- Prepare 30 of grm palm sugar coarsely chopped.
- It’s 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need to taste of salt.
- It’s 1 of galangal 2.5cm, peeled and crushed.
- You need 3 stalks of lemongrass crushed.
- It’s 1 of turmeric leaf finely sliced.
- You need 2 of lemon leaves crushed.
- Prepare of Ingredients to be ground (A) 5red pepper 20 dried pepper.
- Prepare 5 of candle nuts.
- It’s 1 of galangal 2.5 cm (peeled).
- Prepare 1 of ginger 2.5 cm (peeled).
- You need 1 of turmeric 2.5 cm (peeled).
- You need 3 stalks of lemongrass.
- Prepare of Shallots 20 (peeled).
- You need of Garlic 5 cloves (peeled).
- It’s of Ingredients to be ground (B).
Once you have all the ingredients ready, cooking chicken rendang is quite straightforward. Transfer the rendang paste to the pan with some cooking oil. Saute over low heat until it turns aromatic. It will take some time because we have added some water to blend the spices.
Chicken Rendang (Rendang Ayam) instructions
- Wash chicken and cut into medium sized pieces..
- Cut all the spice ingredients to prepare for blending or pounding into paste..
- Soak the dried chillies in hot water till soft. Drain..
- Remove seeds from red chillies and cut into smaller pieces. Place the cut dried and red chillies with some water in a blender. Blend into a paste and set aside..
- (Cut, Garlic,Shallots,Galangal, Ginger, turmeric & Lemongrass). Blend into a paste, set aside..
- Add cooking oil into a heated pan over medium flame and saute the crushed lemongrass and galangal until fragrant..
- Next, add in the blended spice paste & red chili paste.
- Mix all the spice ingredients together and continue to saute for about 5 to 10 minutes until the oil begins to separate from the paste and the paste has darken considerably..
- Stir fry the chicken with the aromatic spice paste until the skin begins to brown slightly and all the chicken has been well coated with the spice..
- Then add thick coconut milk..
- Followed by the crushed lemon leaves and turmeric leaves..
- Next, add in palm sugar or sugar. Continue stirring occasionally as you bring the curry to a boil..
- Meanwhile, prepare kerisik by dry roasting freshly grated coconut under low flame until it is well roasted and turn brown.
- Then pound the kerisik (toasted coconut) in a mortar as this will help release some of the oils within as well as to intensify the nutty aroma. Set aside the pounded kerisik to cool..
- After 30 minutes, add kerisik and stir well to incorporate into the chicken rendang gravy. Add in the finely shredded kaffir and turmeric leaves. Stir and mix well..
- Add in salt to taste. Stir and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked and tender and the gravy is thick and thickened..
A Malay gathering will never be complete without Rendang Ayam (Chicken Rendang). Try making this traditional favourite with this healthier recipe! So much so you wouldn't want to eat the plain chicken rendang and curry anymore. This delicious dish has been a favourite among my […] Chicken Rendang or should I say, Tilah's Mum Chicken Rendang to be exact. Even a good friend of mine who got the recipe from me by chance, has her family now addicted to this dish and they call it by the Malay name, "Rendang Ayam Mak Tilah".