Massaman Beef Curry. Traditional Massaman curry is a Thai curry that's rich but relatively mild heat-wise. I absolutely love Massaman – the beef version, my Lamb Massaman Curry Recipe and I also make one with a whole. Slow-cooked, meltingly tender beef and a sprinkling of crunchy peanuts to finish – it's curry heaven.
It's commonly made with beef, coconut milk, potatoes and peanuts. Thai massaman curry — also known as matsaman or mussaman curry — is a creamy, mildly spicy Massaman curry can be made with chicken, beef, or lamb, and it's an elegant dish to serve for. A rich fragrant Thai coconut curry with tender fall apart Massaman Curry is a bit of an outlier in Thai cuisine. You can have Massaman Beef Curry using 11 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Massaman Beef Curry
- You need 1 pack (250 g) of cubed chuck beef or stewing beef cut into long strips.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of Massaman curry paste.
- It’s 4-5 of shallots, peeled.
- You need 1 of onion chopped in big chunks.
- You need 1 can of coconut milk.
- You need 2-3 tbsp of fish sauce.
- Prepare 2-3 of grated palm sugar (or brown sugar).
- It’s 2 tbsp of tamarind.
- You need 1 of medium-sized potato, peeled and cut into chunks.
- It’s 4-5 tablespoons of unsalted roasted peanuts (can use cashew nut if prefer).
- It’s 2 of star anise.
It was born from Indian and Malay influences. Massaman curry is famous for a good reason—it's so gosh darn delicious!!! If you've had it, you know I'm right 🙂 I'm using beef short ribs in this version, which is hands down the best cut of beef for. My Slow Cooked Beef Massaman Curry has rich, fall-apart slow cooked beef curry in a spicy homemade sauce with new potatoes.
Massaman Beef Curry instructions
- In a big saucepan, add about 2-3 tbsp coconut milk (use the thick part) and wait until coconut milk start bubbling. Add beef in and stir for 2-3 min..
- Add star anise and Massaman curry in and mix in well..
- Add onion, in and leave it to cook for about 30 min then add potato and the rest of your coconut milk in..
- Seasoning with fishsauce, palm sugar, tamarind. Give it a taste it should be sweet, salty and a little sour and nutty. Add some cashew nuts or peanuts and stir well. Leave it to cook for about another 25 min or until potatoes cooked. Add a little bit of water if needed too..
- Perfectly serve with thai jasmine rice..
- For oven braised method: Coat beef in 1 tablespoon of oil, star anise and massaman curry paste, mix well. You can braise your beef in the oven for about an hour. Once your beef in oven for 45 min – an hour put coconut milk in saucepan, then curry paste and mix well then add your beef that have been braised in the oven in the. Add onion, fishsauce, tamarind paste, palm sugar and the rest of coconut milk in. Mix well..
This Thai Massaman Beef Curry recipe is sumptuous and very flavorful. It's a homemade recipe with no need for any store-bought curry paste or powder. The ingredient list may seem long, but the sauce. Massaman curry is a unique Thai curry that is not fiercely hot. Chicken is the most popular meat to cook Massaman curry with but beef, lamb and mutton are equally common in Thailand.